Sunday, December 1, 2013

Stilts


Black-winged Stilt
Himantopus himantopus

Lockhart, Cape York, Queensland, Australia

October 18, 2012


 Some Black-winged Stilts up at Lockhart, Cape York last year. Actually it was my first close encounter with this species since I got nice pictures on film back in the 1990s down at Westgate Park, Port Melbourne. It is a vast distance between Lockhart and Port Melbourne. I'm amazed by these birds as they just look so fragile to me. I remember going towards one in Melbourne and it attacked me. I must have been wandering onto its nesting site. I was worried that if it hit me it would break into pieces. They just remind me of little flying Pinocchios. 

Really cold wet rain here yesterday and just a dull Sunday for photography. Enjoyed studying the Pizzey and Knight Birds of Australia Digital Edition which is installed on my pc. 

I recommend you click on that link and check it out. It helped me with a virtual escape of Niigata's weather and my room has been full of Australian bird sounds arising from Altec Lansing speakers. So much to study and I'm really enjoying it. Pearler picture of a Laughing Kookaburra at the Bunya Mountains.