Wednesday, January 16, 2013

White-tails a Huntin'

White-tailed Sea-eagles
Too far away!

-I recommend clicking on the image for a bigger view!

Fukushimagata, Niigata, Japan.

January 12, 2013


Warning: This post consists of poor photography and dust spots. I was going to call it, "I am Useless", and post it on Sunday morning but another blog, Owls About That Then beat me to the "useless" theme. Actually, I was hopeless and useless. As you can see in the first shot the eagles were too far away. I took my attention away to focus on some buntings in the reeds behind me and and while I was bumbling about I became aware that billions of birds were flocking around me. I looked up to see an eagle right behind me and then couldn't get it in focus because of all the birds that came in between us. 

White-tailed Sea-eagles often hunt birds at Fukushimagata and always stir up the mud. They are so big but when all the birds are zooming around in all directions you just lose sight of them. 

I'm happy to find them for the first time this Winter. I had heard that they were first recorded at Sakata in Niigata back on November 21st. 























Mallard male

Spot-billed Duck 

Either Lesser or Greater White-fronted Geese and Bean Geese