Tuesday, January 1, 2013

American Wigeon


American Wigeon

Hyoko, Niigata, Japan

December 29, 2012

Nikon D800, Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4


Not quite what Lenny Kravitz was singing about but a beautiful little duck nonetheless. 

Found a number of serious birders at Hyoko last Saturday looking for the threatened Ferruginous Duck, which is a very rare visitor to Japan. I couldn't find it but was pretty excited to find this. I thought it was an American Wigeon when I first saw it and still reckon I'm right. According to my bird books it is a rare visitor to Japan although it is common in North America. I seem to keep finding vagrants in Niigata which keeps me on my toes and interested. I've included the camera model as I'm over the moon at the detail of the original raw files. 

Thank you for checking out this blog and for your comments. I hope you have a wonderful 2013!