Sunday, May 19, 2013

Redbacks




Red-backed Fairy-Wren

male

Abberton, Helidon, Queensland, Australia

March 25, 2013

(Click on the pictures for a closer view)

When I was little I was told not to play under the house because of "red-backs". Of course, the only red-backs I knew of then were the dangerous little spiders. These days, I'm more familiar with these beautiful little fairy-wrens.

These pictures were taken back on March 25, when Kay and Kevin too me to visit Bill and Eileen. 

It was a fortunate time for the wildlife. Everything was recovering from rain and grasses and trees were thick and rich.

Thank you to all for letting me visit. I enjoyed walking around looking for birds while everyone else was hard working. Oh, well. Somebody has to be lookout.

I have some more pictures that I'll post later.

I recommend having a look at the Abberton website.



Bill explained how the males find a small clearing down low
so they can spread their wings and flutter about
and the girls can see their pretty red-parts.



Trying to get closer to a girl.

female




At first this was ID'd as a "Salmon-striped Frog" however, it has now been confirmed as a "Cane Toad"



Eastern Water Dragon

also known as Australian Water Dragon (Wikipedia)