Thursday, May 2, 2013

Golden Week 2013 post 2

Nagaoka Castle

Nagaoka, Niigata, Japan

Pentax K200D with Pentax 17-70mm - a nice kit for scenery, I think.

April 28, 2013

Part two of my Golden Week 2013 and we start off with views of Nagaoka Castle last Sunday afternoon. Don't be fooled. There were many, many humans about the place.

The bird photos were all at Junsai-ike, Niigata City on Monday morning. There was a nice variety of species to seek but bundles of tripods and agile walkers made for speedy record shots only.









Blue-and-white Flycatcher
Junsai-ike, Niigata City, Japan

April 29, 2013

All winter I schemed getting stunning shots of one of these in the sakura with Mt Fuji in the background.
After the rain and blossoms have gone I have had to settle for this record shot. Seconds after I found it a nice old man came over to me and stirred up a conversation and the bird departed up into the canopy. It's not that I'm a grumpy old birder, nor am I making excuses, it's just that...

This Great Spotted Woodpecker was wary and flew away as passers-by passed by.
He returned often but was unapproachable.
I guess everyone deserves a holiday. 

Had to shoot it as soon as I saw it as someone was stomping up behind me.
I think it is a Grey Bunting.

Again, I let all good birders down identifying these guys. I believe it is some kind of leaf warbler....
Please help Stuart and Ayuwat!!!??

Oriental Greenfinch

Actually I had a nice three day holiday!!!