Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Crow flying

Carrion Crow

Shinano River, Niigata, Japan
January 2008

Nikon D300 with AF-S 70-300mm f5.6 VR


Some experimental shots of Carrion Crows dropping some kind of nut (looks like a walnut) onto hard surfaces. These photos were my first first bird photos taken with my Nikon D300 and lens just over 4 years ago. I actually went looking for the crows doing this behaviour in January this year but failed to find them. It was a common thing to see them doing this and I've seen them doing it in Winter and Summer. They also wait at intersections and sit on the traffic lights and drop the nuts onto the road and watch to see if a car would drive over them, then parachute down when the lights go red.  A couple of times I found a falling nut just miss me when I was crossing at an intersection and I looked up to see a crow looking down at me. I guess they must of thought my big head looked hard enough.


Still been having a quiet birding time. It was snowing three weeks ago and I went out with the birding camera and didn't take a single shot. Today it was so hot and I saw summer birds along the river. I missed the spring birds. I also went out in early April looking for gulls but was disappointed with their absence too.