Sunday, April 1, 2012

Faces in the Rain

Japanese Macaque
Also known as a Snow Monkey

Jigokudani Yaen-Koen, Nagano Prefecture, Japan

March 31, 2012

These photos were taken yesterday in Nagano Prefecture at Jigokudani Yaen-Koen. It is the famous place for wild Snow Monkeys bathing in a hot spring. 

I recommend you click on the Official Jigokudani Website for more information.

After years of thinking about going, it was pouring with rain when we finally got there. It was pouring rain in the morning as we were going there. It was pouring with rain while we were there. It was pouring with rain when we left. 
After we left, it snowed, and many more monkeys went into the spring. Ain't it the way?

Luckily, the night before we went I went into a camera store and bought rain coats for my cameras. I saw that the forecast for the weekend was for rain so I thought I'd prepare for it. Lucky I did, as I had imagined drizzly, soft rain and cloud but actually it rained quite heavily. I carried two heavy bags with cameras and lenses but couldn't change lenses in the conditions. Actually I didn't really watch my camera settings at all as I was just battling to keep them dry while balancing an umbrella. I'm happy with what I got in the conditions and think the rain actually added atmosphere. I know some photos are very dark but I like them that way.

I hope to go back someday. I recommend you go there too!!
























Above and below: Shibu Onsen is the last of a string of hot spring villages leading towards the Monkey's Onsen (the Monkey's hot spring). We stayed there.





Walk to the Monkey's Onsen