Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hawking Falcons.

Brown Falcon eating an insect
Photo with a Nikon D300 + Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR
(Murphys Creek, Queensland, August 28 2011)

Had a great day with birding friend, Michael Atzeni at Murphys Creek, on Sunday. It was my first time there after the devastating flash floods that hit last January. I was shocked to see just a little of the damage. It is a beautiful natural area, however, and is starting to show some regrowth and I hope to show some of the sights I had there in upcoming posts on this blog.

The last thing we came across on the way home was a pair of Brown Falcons performing some curious aerial behaviour. They seemed to be eating something in flight and going to and fro around us. Unfortunately, I missed the best chances when they were nearest when I was using my Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR.  I usually love this lens for flight shots but it just didn't have the reach and furthermore was failing to focus accuratley. Thankfully I had time to change to the Nikkor 80-400mm VR. I had also had a focussing failure with this lens earlier in the day and decided to use my back-up. Hope my camera isn't on the way out. If you look closely, you can see some insects in some of the shots. A nice little encounter for the last birding event on my last day of my holidays.