Monday, July 4, 2011

One Weekend in Summer

Oriental Reed Warbler
(Fukushimagata, Niigata, July 3, 2011)

Had a warm, humid and cloudy weekend with just a few spots of rain. Visited Junsai-ike on Saturday night to see my first ever fireflies. I thought they were stunning, but I just took my little compact camera for some shots and we didn't spend too much time there so I would like to go again another time. 

Also went back to Junsai-ike on Sunday morning hoping to get some shots of the resident Northern Goshawks but only heard them apart from a brief glimpse of a new fledgling. The goshawks have been successful again rearing three this year. Unfortunately one of the young had to be recovered from the roadside after it had left the nest and was taken to the local refuge for wild birds. 

After a couple of hours at Junsai-ike, went to Fukushimagata where there are many happy Reed Warblers, various egrets and herons, Black-eared Kites and a few distant osprey. 


(above and below) Japanese Bumble Bee
I'm absolutely terrified of these guys. They are so huge! I never saw a bee like this in Australia.

(Junsai-ike, Niigata, July 3 2011)



Skink on cut timber.
(Junsai-ike, July 3, 2011)

Exposed for a few seconds and handheld. Trail of a firefly. There are information signs about the two species of fireflies in the park. I'll have to do my homework and translate the Japanese information....some time.
(Junsai-ike, evening of July 2 2011)


video

Above is a movie comprising of four clips that goes for about one minute of fireflies. 
(Post edit: Hmmmn, didn't upload too well....I recommend full screen!)


Abstract shot looking overhead at night in Junsai-ike. Small, green spots are fireflies.

I've seen about the smallest frogs I've ever seen at the edges of the ricefields in Niigata.  It could sit safely on an Australian 5 cent piece, or Japanese ichi yen coin.


Summer view of Fukushimagata, Niigata. (July 3, 2011)

Oriental Reed Warbler