Sunday, July 31, 2011

One Chance.

Post edit:  Eurasian Spoonbill 


I had believed I had encountered a Black-faced Spoonbill but looking at it again, the distinct face and pinkish bill are of a Eurasian Spoonbill.  Thanks very much to Ayuwat from Unravel and Stu from Hakodate Birding for the comments below and keeping me honest.

(Photographs at Fukushimagata, Niigata, January 9, 2006)


 I thought this was my only ever encounter with the endangered Black-faced Spoonbill but actually it's my only encounter with an Eurasian Spoonbill.  (Still a rare species for here!) The only spoonbill I've seen in Japan. I was taking a stroll with my camera at Fukushimagata, Niigata on a cold day back in January 2006 when I just looked up and saw it coming overhead. There it came, and there it went. Photos were taken with a Pentax *ist DS 6Mb DSLR with Pentax smc 400mm f5.6 lens. Not the best focussing setup but I was happy with it as my first digital SLR. I think a zoom lens with a focussing motor would have been better in this situation. 




This "armpit" shot is my favourite.