Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Amazing Flying Pintails

Northern Pintails

Hyoko, Niigata, Japan

January 24, 2015




Here are some flight shots I took last weekend trying out the Nikon D7100 and AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm VR. I don't know if the af is as good as the D800 but I'm getting old and these pics made me sentimental. I remember visiting the Birds Australia Library back in the early 90s, and a kind and patient man named David Eades kindly showed me articles written by the great American photographer, Brian Wheeler on how to photograph birds in flight. I still only had a manual film camera and only seemed to get a keeper once every three months but was desperate to take better pictures. I still remember David's and Brian's advice and I'm grateful. I think it is not so difficult for everybody to get such pics these days. Then, we never imagined today's amazing cameras.





uncropped