Thursday, September 19, 2013

Toowoomba Japanese Gardens for Birding


Australian White Ibis

Tortoises?

Toowoomba Japanese Gardens, Queensland, Australia

2007-2008

Was reading at the start of the week that the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers had officially commenced for 2013. Made me a touch homesick. I recall I attended a parade ten years ago. Before that, it had been two to three decades earlier that I went enthusiastically with big eyes. I remember beautiful carnival floats covered with flowers puttering by with pretty girls smiling and waving. Famous  radio announcers described the floats and said who they were sponsored by. I also remember being scared of the guys wearing giant paper-mache heads wandering around between the floats.  I was just little. 

These photos are files from 2007 and 2008. Maybe the end of winter. I remember there were plenty of flying foxes in the trees. I think they have been rid of by now. I think it's actually pretty cool. No matter how hard you work to make something authentic the local animals have got to stick their noses in it. I think it is a richer place for it. All the Australian species making the gardens home.


Australian Darter


Hardhead

also known as White-eyed Duck


Flying Foxes


Black Flying Fox

July 31, 2008

Pentax K200D with Sigma 28-300mm lens