Sunday, October 2, 2011

Duck Season

young Northern Goshawk
(Fukushimagata, Niigata, October 1, 2011)
Nikon D300 + Nikkor af-s 300mm f4 + 1.4TCII
Ventured to Fukushimagata with the intention of finding young goshawks hunting ducks. Turned out, I wasn't disppointed. All this action happened on arrival. I found them doing the same over the last two years in the same spot from the end of September. Adults should come in a couple of weeks and that should really stir up the mud.. My photos last year and the year before were disappointing but I was happy with these results. Still have to get my dream shot of a goshawk toe to tail with a duck at close range. Guess I'll have to go back.










Bit of a territory dispute






Using a monopod with ballhead does help.










I took a lot of pot shots as the goshawks would just disappear in the numbers.


Lighting conditions changed frequently as conditions went from sunny to cloudy with a couple of squalls but then sunny ten minutes later again. A lot of action happened during the rainy patches.  







Hopefully, more ducks will come over the next few weeks so the action should come even closer to the water's edge.