Monday, November 1, 2010

Osprey (Japan) versus Eastern Osprey (Australia).

  Eastern Osprey, Pandion haliaetus cristatus (Cairns, August 2007)

Osprey, Pandion haliaetus, (Japan - Fukushimagata, Niigata, April 2008).


Have had a handful of close encounters with osprey both in Australia and Japan the last couple of years and thought I'd post some photographs for any keen-eyed observers. Australia's osprey is now classified as "Eastern Osprey" - Pandion haliaetus cristatus, while as far I know Japan's version remains, "Osprey" - Pandion haliaetus. I'm sure there's more to the latter and I will add to this when I find more information. I hope some of the photos are useful in comparing the two. (The Japanese name for osprey is "Mi-sa-go"). 

 Above and below: Eastern Osprey (Cairns, August 2007)


Above: Osprey (Japan - Fukushimagata, Niigata, April 2008)

Below: Eastern Osprey, (Toorbul, Queensland, September 2008)



 Above: Eastern Osprey, (again at Toorbul, September 2008) and below, again Osprey (Fukushimagata, April 2008).


Osprey (Sakata, Niigata, March 2010).

Both look like osprey to me but I can't tell one from the other only that I know where I was when I encountered them. Varying conditions make the recorded images different as well regardless of location.

Osprey, (Fukushimagata, Niigata, April 2008)